This time, it is your story.

COMMONER OF THE MONTH

This is for the girl I envy the most. Yeah, it is you sistah! Sheena Joy Vallente. Before I forget, happy 18th birthday! I envy you the most neither because you are taller and fairer than me nor because you had (allegedly) three ex- boyfriends in a row already but because you are the strongest woman I’ve ever known. You are stronger than red horse extra- strong. Hehehe. Seriously, you are a strong lady, I am not kidding.


Do you think it will be my story again? Nope, the limelight is now directed at you and all the good things in you that I just realized now.

I know, I never have been a perfect “ate” to you and I know my presence might have meant frustration to you but you never hold any grudge against me. While people were celebrating my victory, you were in a corner watching. I am aware that behind those jealous stares were proud smiles for your ate despite being compared to me in almost all things. I can feel it because, I am a girl. “Ate” knows best too.



You were also a victim of all my immaturity, hypocrisy, bluntness and vanity. I know that at some part of your life- story, I played as an antagonist. We used to bicker at an extremely deafening level over a very shallow matter and sometimes I chased you around the neighborhood with me carrying a slipper and you carrying a scared face. Well, those are just pieces of  hilarious experiences we went through as sisters. 




I was never an understanding "ate" to you, right? I am sure you still remember the days I condemned you after learning that you already had a boyfriend. I was so angry. Di mo man lang ako, pina- una ! I  texted the guy with harsh and humiliating words to discourage him.  (This is actually, the first time that I’ll tell you about it) Guess what he answered? “I love your sister. You don’t know how it feels beause you’ve never been there. You’re such a legalist.” Boooom! Me ganun? acheche! I didn’t see it coming, really. Di ako naka- prepare!  I know you are not comfortable about this topic. But so what? It’s my blog. JOKE. I mean, like I said, the limelight is yours right? So why bother? Besides, we’re grown-ups.


You were born with cleft lip and palate as in your entire upper lip was much distorted with the two teeth protruding. That’s how you look but you are still cute when you smile as a baby. When you were I think, four or five years old, and I was in 1st grade that time, you were one of those fortunate kids who were given free operation by a protestant church in their project, OPERATION SMILE. You were in a hospital for a week and when you got home, the first sight of you actually got me crying. I couldn’t stand looking at you with stiches below your nose and dripping saliva because you can barely close your mouth. It took months for the operation to heal.

She won the scariest make up at a Halloween party 

Then you grow up bearing that scar on you upper lip. The bullying went along with it. Your name became “budlot” (bisaya for protruding mouth) or “bungi” (someone with cleft lip/palate) from you wonderful name Sheena Joy. I am guilty of calling you with those pseudonyms too like those nasty kids outside. Maiyak ka na kung gusto mo. This is my way of saying sorry for being a monster sister back then. I can’t blame you for being “suplada” and defensive because bullying is not easy to ignore. What amazes me is that you were able to grow oblivious with it and you just stated as a matter-of- factly “At least I don’t have any speech impediments”. 

Aside from that, you had also bore the pain of always being compared to me. I can feel your self- pity; the feeling that no matter how hard you tried, you could not make it to the honor list, science quizzers club and campus journalist club in elementary and high school. Worst is, every time we go together, people always ask if we are really sisters. They always thought you are just “ampon” or adopted


Mga probinsyana

Another thing that you always lamented about before was my freedom. I could go home late, you couldn’t. I was a total rebel, you were not. You were always left at home making the laundry and cleaning the house while I was away doing side-lines or rakets and school tasks. Before you could go out, you had to wash all the clothes. And every time you ask why they weren’t doing it to me, you just receive a blunt, “she’s smart, that’s why she’s busy. Don’t wish to be in her position.” OUCH!


Other than that, you grew up standing in my shadow. My fashion statements are fashion statements you adored. My stuff are things you wish to have. My favorite shows became your favorite.  You cringe at creating English composition because you’re not into it. So you read and studied mine. Even when we were children, you watch me sketching paper dolls and imitate them. Based on my recollection, you once said that you don’t know what you want to become because you didn’t have any niche. Sometimes, I want to be like you who is not greedy of opportunity and just let God work His plans for you. On the other hand, that makes me guilty now for I know I am one of the reasons why you lose the spirit to show your talent and develop it.

her church buddies: (Clockwise) Jean, Rachelle, Melanie (my sister too), Sheen Joy
and Gascon 
Do you think I was lucky and happy that way? Do you think I was always the one to be envied with?  Do you know how fortunate you were to be not in my position? Don’t you know how sorry I am for all the wicked things I did and for not being able to make it all up to you while I still have the time?

Joy, if you only know how I badly wished to grow up like you- the “you” who is so simple, go- getter, outspoken and cheerful.

her circle of friends: (left to write) Rachelle,
Melanie (my third sister) , Sheena Joy

Now, listen up! I’ll tell you the things that made you an extremely beautiful, skilled, blessed and strong woman. First, you know how to do the laundry well which I learned too late. You are beautiful because you can make friends with ordinary people like tambay, jologs and high school delinquents. Only a truly pretty woman can do that. 

The leap of her life during the San Pedro Quasi Parish Laro ng Lahi Festival

You are strong because you already mastered to ignore what people think of you. I cry to death if it happens to me and lock myself inside my room if I were on your shoes. You are skilled because mom always entrust to you the household chores because you are diligent. I am not (although I am OC). You are free because you are not choked with expectations. You're fearless because you are “astig" and can trash talk with guys on the street and you are not choosy with what you eat. You are amazing because you settle with simple things . You set no standards. You are pretty because you are simple.



You are beautiful my sistah in every single way. By the way, thank you for your comforting flattery when you said that the guy I had a (deadly) crush on is also into me. Hehehe.

And hey the scar on your upper lip is a sexy thing, that’s an asset. Huwag mo ng ipa- laser . That makes you who you are. If you do, maging maganda ka na kesa sa akin. Hindi maari! Joke!

My wish list for you is longer than the wish list for myself. One of them is for us to become close friends ever and make more funny memories though we're miles away. Another is, I wish that our last name will remain as Vallente longer. If we really can’t help it, then may each of us have cute babies and loving hubbies. Yung hindi nanggugulpi. If you are in love and flirting with somebody, don’t worry I am too.(laughs)

I hope I’ll be seeing you in the future as a successful woman presiding an executive meeting. I dare you to be a successful woman than me. I won’t hold any grudge. I will be happy watching you at a distance.


pahabol!!!!


Once again happy  18th Birthday!




Without wax,

Manang or Ate Mae Ann






















Comments

Popular Posts